Pittman Dutton & Hellums has been practicing law in and around Birmingham for decades. Birmingham is the city that we know and love, and we’re proud to call it home.
We’ve put together a handful of questions to test how much you know about Birmingham. A few of them are hard, so if you don’t know them, consider it a learning opportunity. At the bottom, you’ll find the answers and a little bit of backstory to broaden your Birmingham knowledge.
Which actor on the TV hit Friends is originally from Birmingham?
- Jennifer Aniston
- Matthew LeBlanc
- David Schwimmer
- Courteney Cox
The Birmingham Airport (now the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport) opened in 1931. At the time of the opening, flight to Los Angeles took how long?
Who has been mayor of Birmingham since 2010
- Patrick Cooper
- Larry Langford
- Bernard Kincaid
- William Bell
Which is the tallest building in downtown Birmingham?
- Thomas Jefferson Hotel
- Wells Fargo Tower
- Regions Center
- AT&T City Center
What former secretary of state was born in Birmingham?
- Madeline Albright
- Colin Powell
- Hillary Clinton
- Condoleeza Rice
Vulcan, the enormous, historic iron statue in Vulcan Park and Museum, is named for the Roman god of what?
- The sea
The Answers. Don’t Cheat!
- The Friends star who was born here is Courteney Cox. She was born in 1964 just outside Birmingham in Mountain Brook, where she went to public schools and lived until college.
- Back in 1931, a flight from Birmingham to L.A. took 19 hours. Can you imagine?
- William A. Bell has been mayor since 2010. He also briefly served as interim mayor in 1999, following the 20-year tenure of Mayor Richard Arrington, Jr., the city’s first African American mayor.
- At 454 feet tall, the Wells Fargo Tower is the tallest building in Birmingham, and it has been ever since it was built nearly 30 years ago. (For the curious, the second-tallest building is Regions-Harbert Plaza.)
- The former Secretary of State born in Birmingham is Condoleeza Rice. She was born in a segregated Birmingham in 1954. Her family’s time in Birmingham and later in Tuscaloosa showed her how ugly racism was in that time. When she was eight, one of her friends was killed in the infamous 1963 bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church – one of our city’s darkest moments.
- Vulcan is the Roman god of fire and the forge. The statue is a nod to the city’s historic roots in the steel and iron industries. It is the largest cast iron statue in the world, and it weighs a whopping 120,000 pounds.
Who We Are
Pittman, Dutton & Hellums is a Birmingham personal injury law firm. We have repeatedly been honored for our record of success across the state. If you need to speak with an attorney, you can call us at (205) 322-8880.