Spinal Cord Injuries
Serving Birmingham and the Metro area
As a leading Birmingham personal Injury law firm, we have seen the devastating impact a spinal cord injury can have on an individual and their family. In the blink of an eye, an injury to the spine can forever change the course of your life. Without warning, you may be facing lifelong disabilities and a financial burden you and your family are unprepared for.
At the law office of Pittman Dutton & Hellums, our Birmingham spinal cord injury lawyers are committed to helping accident victims and their families. We have been compassionately representing injury victims for over 30 years. Contact us today by completing the form on this page or calling (205) 322-8880to schedule a free consultation.
The Aftermath of a Spinal Cord Injury
The lowest normal part of your spinal cord is referred to as the neurological level of your injury. The severity of the injury is often called “the completeness” and is classified as either of the following:
Your ability to feel and control your limbs after a spinal cord injury depends on two factors: The location of the injury along your spine and the severity of the injury to the spine.
The lowest function part of your spinal cord is referred to as the level of your injury. Healthcare professionals will often refer to the severity of the injury as “the completeness” and are classified as below:
- Complete. If all feeling (sensory) and all ability to control movement (motor function) are lost below the spinal cord injury, your injury is called complete.
- Incomplete. If you have some motor or sensory function below the affected area, your injury is called incomplete. There are varying degrees of incomplete injury.
Additionally, paralysis from a spinal cord injury may be referred to as:
- Paraplegia. This paralysis affects all or part of the trunk, legs, and pelvic organs.
- Quadriplegia: Generally speaking, this means you are paralyzed from the neck down. Arms, hands, trunk and pelvic organs are all affected.
Spinal cord injuries of any kind may result in one or more of the following signs and symptoms:
Injuries to the spinal cord often result in one or more of the following:
- Loss of movement
- Loss or altered sensation, including the ability to feel heat, cold and touch
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Exaggerated reflex activities or spasms
- Changes in sexual function, sexual sensitivity, and fertility
- Pain or an intense stinging sensation caused by damage to the nerve fibers in your spinal cord
- Difficulty breathing, coughing or clearing secretions from your lungs
Damages for Spinal Cord Injuries
If you have suffered a spinal cord injury due to the negligence of others, our skilled team of injury attorneys are committed to going after more than just compensation – we will seek justice and hold the responsible parties accountable for the upheaval and devastation your injuries have caused you and your loved ones.
Our spinal cord injury attorneys are passionate about protecting the rights of accident and malpractice victims and will fight aggressively to recover damages such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Home renovations
- Vehicle modifications
- Occupational therapy
- Physical rehabilitative therapy
- Medical equipment
- Medical costs
- Loss of earnings and earning potential
If you have been injured in the Birmingham area, contact the spinal cord injury lawyers at Pittman, Dutton, Hellums, Bradley & Mann online or at (205) 322-8880 to discuss your case for free.
Get a Free Case Evaluation
Fill out the form below to contact our firm. One of our experienced attorneys is prepared to speak with you. Consultations are free and confidential.
We’re ready to hear your story.
Using the web form below will begin the process of your free consultation, which is confidential and carries no obligation to hire our firm. Considering your safety, our consultations may be done via telephone or a video call format. During business hours expect to receive a return phone call within an hour. You will speak with one of our top-rated attorneys during your consultation who will attempt to provide you with reliable answers to your legal questions. We look forward to assisting you!
2001 Park Pl.
Birmingham, AL 35203
We are open and available 24/7!
HIGHLY AWARDED LAW FIRM
IN YOUR CORNER
Our law firm has received top awards from the country's most prestigious organizations recognizing leading law firms.