When Do You Need a Bicycle Accident Attorney?
While bicycling in Alabama may not be as popular in other states, more people are choosing to ride on two wheels. Taking the bike to work or spend a weekend hitting the mountain trails with the family in tow is great for our health.
In November of 2015, the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy released a study that found a dramatic increase in cycling could save society $24 trillion and cut CO2 emissions from urban transportation by 11%.
There is one glaring factor that keeps many people from becoming dedicated cyclists: fear of getting hit by a car. It’s a fear that goes both ways. Surely no one wants to be responsible for hitting a cyclist either. In 2015 alone, five cyclists were killed in collisions with cars.
When comparing the frame of a bicycle to the size and weight of a car – you’re practically guaranteed that the cyclist will be injured in any kind of collision. When a cyclist is hit by a car, speaking with a personal injury attorney can be a critical step in protecting your interests.
What Are Common Bicycle Accidents?
Despite a bike’s positive impact on health and the environment, riding a bicycle can be dangerous. As little as three years ago, the Centers for Disease Control reported over 900 bicyclists were killed, with an estimated 494,000 visits to the emergency room for bicycle accident injuries in the U.S. alone. Adolescents, young adults
It doesn’t help that Alabama was recently listed as the least
Auto drivers have a duty to exercise higher care in regards to cyclists, but driver negligence is a leading contributor in bicycle accident cases. Common bicycle accidents include:
- Side-Swipe Collision – This Occurs When A Car Driver Refuses To Share The Road With A Cyclist, Coming Too Close To The Bicycle And Striking Them In Passing.
- Left Turn Collision – Happens When The Car’s Driver And The Cyclist Approach The Intersection From Opposite Directions. As The Car Makes A Left Turn, It Collides With The Cyclist.
- Right Turn Collision – Results From The Car Cutting Off A Cyclist As They Turn Right, Or Turns Into The Bicycle When Both Are At A Stop Light And The Light Changes. This Is A Common Cause Of Wrongful Death In Bicycle Accidents.
- Failure To Stop – Often Cyclists Forget To Give The Right-Of-Way To The Car At A Stop Sign By Not Coming To A Full And Complete Stop At An Intersection. Motorists Can Be Guilty Of The Same Behavior, Hitting A Bicycle By Failing To Stop Completely.
- Failure To Yield – A Cyclist Entering An Intersection Must Always Come To A Complete Stop And Let The Motorist Have The Right-Of-Way. Failure To Yield Could Result In The Cyclist Being Found At Fault In An Accident.
- The Door Zone – Alabama Vehicle Code Section 32-5A-263 States That Cyclist Must Stay As Far To Right On Any Roadway Not Specifically Marked With A Bicycle Lane. Drivers In Cars Frequently Forget This Fact. They Also Forget To Check For People On Bikes Before Exiting Their Vehicle. In These Circumstances, The Cyclist Has Two Options: Be Hit By The Door Or Swerve Towards On-Coming Traffic. The Results Are Often Deadly.
What Is Bicycle Accident Liability?
The successful outcome of a bicycle accident lawsuit rests on the ability to prove liability, namely the
What Is Driver Negligence?
A deciding factor in personal injury cases lies within the reckless behavior of others. A driver who is speeding, under the influence, running a stop sign or stoplight, or drifts into a bike lane would be considered negligent. Eye-witness testimony can greatly assist in determining driver negligence.
What Is Cyclist Negligence?
Several factors can cause a cyclist to be found partially responsible (also known as comparative negligence) for a bicycle accident. Failure to yield or riding through a stop sign are examples of cyclist negligence, and cyclist found guilt may be unable to recover damages. It’s important to remember that riding against the flow of traffic is illegal, and would be considered recklessness in a bicycle accident lawsuit.
What Is Child Bicycle Accident Liability?
Bicycle accidents involving children account for almost 52% of all
Any time you are injured in an accident involving a car, wait until the police arrive before leaving the scene. It isn’t unheard of for a driver to immediately admit blame in a bicycle accident, only to later deny everything. The police report is one of the strongest tools for proving who is at fault in any kind of car accident.
Report every injury you have to the officer at the scene. You may not realize the extent of your injuries right away, having an officer document your
Be sure to get the name, address
How Can A Bicycle Accident Attorneys Help You?
Bicycle accident legal issues can be complex. A personal injury attorney with experience in bicycle accident forensics will be better able to get the compensation you deserve. It’s rare that the cyclist and the driver’s insurance company agree on negligence and the proper settlement amount.
Pittman, Dutton, Hellums, Bradley & Mann have decades of experience and a proven record of success handling personal injury cases involving all kinds of motor vehicle accidents, from bicycles to motorcycles to buses to tractor trailers or large trucks. We are very familiar with the tactics insurance companies use to pressure victims into agreeing to settlements far below the actual total cost of injuries – amounts that do not take into account time lost from work, pain and suffering or the total lifetime costs of severe injuries or wrongful death.
We are here to help injured victims and their families throughout the state of Alabama. You absolutely have the right to hold those involved accountable for your injuries. To discover more about your legal options, contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Get a Free Case Evaluation
Fill out the form below to contact our firm. One of our experienced attorneys is prepared to speak with you. Consultations are free and confidential.
Are you ready to tell your story?
Using the web form below will begin the process of your free consultation, which is confidential and carries no obligation to hire our firm. Considering your safety, our consultations may be done via telephone or a video call format. During business hours expect to receive a return phone call within an hour. You will speak with one of our top-rated attorneys during your consultation who will attempt to provide you with reliable answers to your legal questions. We look forward to assisting you!
2001 Park Pl.
Birmingham, AL 35203
We are open and available 24/7!
HIGHLY AWARDED LAW FIRM
IN YOUR CORNER
Our law firm has received top awards from the country's most prestigious organizations recognizing leading law firms.